My first car (1967 Ford Mustang Pt. I)

      Hello my name is Mark and this is my very first post on my blog.  Being my first post I thought it fitting to have it about my very first car.  It was Christmas Day of 1990 and I had just turned 20 a few days before.  I was a young Sailor posted to a Fighter Squadron at NAS Miramar is San Diego, California.

     I had spent Christmas morning with my Girlfriend and her family in Mira Mesa.  She had a twin Sister and both had gotten brand new 1991 Nissan Sentra's for Christmas.  Needless to say I was jealous!!!  I had never owned a car of my own yet.  As a teen I got to drive my Dad's car pretty much as I wanted, but never actually owned my own.  Actually I was really not into cars too much.  A short time spent in Souther California changed all that.  

     1965-1970 Mustangs were everywhere in So Cal!!!  At least they were at that time, I'm guessing that a few still lurk about today?  Anyway, something about the 1965 Mustang caught my eye.  I started to lust after one.  As fate would have it, on Christmas Day my Girlfriend took a road we never drove on before when she drove me back to my barracks to get some things.  On a road I forgot the name of in Mira Mesa, Calif. sat a Lime Gold 1967 Mustang, with a cool option, a for sale sign.  

My '67 Mustang circa 1996 along the Lake Erie Coast in Ohio.  This is after it's repaint.


    Another great thing about this Mustang was it was priced in the "affordable for a young Sailor" range.  I was able to buy the Mustang with little drama.  

Circa 1992 or 1993 NAS Mirama, San Diego, Calif.

     It was a base model 1967 Mustang in Lime Gold with a Ivy Green interior.  It was the standard coupe with a straight-six 200 cubic inch engine with a Cruise-O-Matic C-4 Automatic Transmission.  To say it was bare bones would be an understatement.  It was not the GT with K-Code 289 High-Performance with a four on the floor....I could have cared less!!!  It was my Mustang and I was stoked 20 year old!!!

Circa 1992 or 1993 NAS Miramar.  Yes that is an Alice Cooper T-Shirt.




    After I got out of the US Navy in May of 1993, this Mustang got me across the United States without any major drama.  Across the desert in Arizona, driving through a minor sandstorm near Las Cruces, New Mexico at 4 AM. and a few other adventures...  

    Shortly after I got out of the Service, I tackled my alcoholism and got sober.  This Mustang was my God-send for sleepless 2 AM drives to the coastline of Lake Erie.  The odometer got a good testing out that way.  I ended up moving to Alaska a few years later.  The Mustang sat at my Dad's place and ended up being sold to a family member.  I really had hoped to hang onto the Mustang, but it did not turn out that way.  Sometimes we make mistakes in life...  Anyway I have great memories of this American icon of the 1960's.  The good news is that Ford produced some 470,000 Mustangs in the 1967 model year, there might just be one with my name on the title in the future?  

     Thank you for checking out my blog, this is my first post.  I plan on more in the future.

Circa 1996 in my early-mid 20's.





At a Rock Festival in the mid-1990's


Spring 1991 The Sunset Strip, Hollywood, Calif.  

Comments

Popular Posts